My Blog and Shop

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Social Media and Me

or.. Why I don't use Facebook?

I recently received exciting news from a friend, via a message on WhatsApp.  I replied directly, congratulating him.  I later learned that the same news had been shared via Facebook.  Of course, here many others posted their messages of congratulations.  Along with the inevitable "Like" thumbs up.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I do wonder how impersonal it is.  Surely it would take just a few seconds extra to send a personal, private, message to say "well done", or "great news".

It's a small gesture, but I believe today we are so wrapped up in social media, to the extent that our lives are broadcast in the moment.  Please, don't get me wrong.  I have been guilty in the past of posting photos of days out, birthday messages etc.  I still post on Twitter; but if it's to someone in particular, then I send a Direct Message to them, and them alone.  Or, I send them a text message.  Maybe even an email.


Social media is terrific for sharing; but it gets quite impersonal.  Monotonous even.  The same people, day in, day out; posting photos of their days out, dogs, cats, achievements, children's achievements...

I totally understand that it's exciting to tell everyone some good news; but what happened to the personal touch.  The days when the "bush telegraph" took over and the news spread via telephone - I think it was called gossip.  Now; it's instant...out there, in your face...

I'm not completely anti social media; it has its uses and I do use it; I post occasionally to Instagram, but use it mainly for following people and interests. 
I also use Google+, mainly for the communities. Again,  I don't feel the need to post all the time.

I don't 'do'  Snapchat; I'm not their target demographic and I don't use Foursquare (does anyone, anymore?)

So,  I'm happy with my life outside social media, just dipping my toe in every now and then.  I certainly don't feel the need to post my daily lives to all and sundry - those I want to know, I tell.

And if I send you a personal message, directly,  it's because I value you as an individual.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails