My Blog and Shop

Monday, October 12, 2009

Disney Pixar - UP



Adventure is Out There

What a delightful film.  Once again, Disney and Pixar have delivered.  This is the 10th outing for the animation studio, hot on the heels of Wall-E, Cars, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc etc.

"Up" is the story of Carl, an elderly curmudgeon, who refuses to leave the house he built with his wife, Ellie, as a huge building project takes place around him.  After a lovely, and moving, 10 minute intro to the film, the adventure gets underway.

Enter Russell, the boy scout, who needs his "Assisting the Elderly" badge, and has a hard time convincing Carl to let him help.  When he does, things really pick up apace.

As we've come to expect from Pixar, the story is told on many levels, the adults getting as much from it as the children.  It's also the first Pixar film to be released in a 3D version.  I saw the 2D, and to be honest, whilst I could imagine where the 3D sequences would be, it's not necessary.  I still feel that 3D is a gimic.

The animation is outstanding, the sets, lighting and artwork all perfectly realised, the characters are well-formed and the soundtrack (again, Michael Giacchino) is lovely.

Pixar are on the 'Up' again, with the recent 3D release of Toy Story.  Toy Story 2 is due in the New Year, and later next year will see the brand new Toy Story 3.

You can see the trailer here, and if you like the picture at the top of this post; it's unique.  I created it on the 'Up' website.  Why not create your own?

Finally - when you go to see the film, don't be late, there is a Pixar short, shown just before the main film, which is wonderful.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this film!

One minute I was crying (near wailing I might add it was sad!) and then laughing my head off!

I thought it was interesting to sit and watch both children and adults in the cinema both amazed by the journey that they go on.

I mean who wouldn't want to tie lots and lots of balloons to their house and go for a trip?

My hand goes up immediately, Me! Me! Me!

I think I might need to give this some planning...

Great blog post again, good stuff.

P.S. Toy Story 3 looks amazing! Can't wait

AspergerKing said...

3D a gimmic?

This year I've seen

Bolt (twice)
Coroline
Monsters vs Aliens
Ice Age 3
Toy Story
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
G-force

all in 3D, and going back to 2D to see Aliens in the Attic was a major disappointment.

Can't wait to see A Christmas Carol in November. We're off to Up this weekend.

AspergerKing said...

Forgot to add, that Coroline is out on DVD today, in 3D, with 3 pairs of glasses.

Doonytime said...

I appreciate your comments.

I guess we're all entitled to our views, and for me 3D is not yet something I want to watch.

I saw "Superman Returns" in 3D, and was very disappointed.
Maybe I should try again, but I would rather sit back and enjoy the film, rather than watching for the symbols telling me to put the glasses on!!

I'm yet to be persuaded otherwise.

Thanks again.

Rite$h said...

Not yet seen the movie, but after reading your post will make a must to find a dvd to watch

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails