My Blog and Shop

Friday, December 18, 2009

Classic Movie Review V

For the last of my review, I have chosen a staple of the British Christmas television schedules.  You can't go far wrong with "The Sound of Music".

The setting, the story, and classic Oscars & Hammerstein music and lyrics all make this an all-time favourite.

Over the years it has spawned sing-a-long versions in the cinema, and the ressurection of a stage show, from Andrew Lloyd Webber.  There was even a TV show to 'find' Maria!



Now, I wasn't born when the film was originally released, in 1965; but I do remember going to see this at the cinema, probably in the late 70s'.

Julie Andrews made the character of Maria her own; and Christopher Plummer as Captain Von Trapp was also great.  The children are often brought out of retirement, to remember the days making the film, but many of them are no longer acting.  Indeed, I believe a couple never made another film!!  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Having said this is a staple of British Christmas television, I can't actually find it in the schedules this year - but never mind.  It's a classic whenever it's shown.  Grab yourself a mince pie, and settle down for a singsong in the company of Maria and the children.

The song "Do Re Mi" is probably the best loved, for children, as it can be sung in the round - I do remember learning it at school.

In March, more than 200 dancers were performing their version of "Do Re Mi", in the Central Station of Antwerp. with just 2 rehearsals they created this amazing stunt! These 4 fantastic minutes is a promotion stunt for a Belgian television program, where they were looking for someone to play the leading role, in the musical of "The Sound of Music" - sound familiar?




On YouTube, this has over 13 million hits.

This is the last of my reviews, before Christmas.  I hope you've enjoyed them.  If you feel like commenting, either agreeing, or disagreeing with my views / comments, then please let me know.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Film Filled New Year.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Another great family movie!!

Will be watched by millions over Christmas break

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails