My Blog and Shop

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Avatar - A 3D Spectacular

Well, well, well.

If you've been reading my blogs, you might remember that I panned the use of 3D technology in the cinema.  I suggested that only childrens films are made in 3D, and the constant putting on and taking off of the 3D glasses was a nonsense.

I WAS WRONG!!!!

Today I took my eldest to see Avatar, the latest blockbuster from James Cameron, he of Terminator and Titanic fame.

Avatar, if you don't know, is the story of Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, who is brought to the planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture.


Humans are unable to breathe Pandora's air, but the Avatar Program enables people to link with their own Avatar, a genetically-bred human-Navi hybrid. Through his Avatar body, Jake will be able to walk again.


It's a visual feast, and the two interwoven stories work well together.


However, it's the effects and the scenery that really come into their own in this film.  Apparently, 40% of the film is 'real' with the other 60% being made inside a computer.  The thing is, it really is all 'up on the screen' to be seen.


James Cameron has been waiting for the technology to be available, to make this, and it wasn't until the Lord of the Rings trilogy that he realised this could be made.


So, back to my derision of 3D technology in the cinema.  I admit I was wrong.  The entire film is in 3D, so need to to put on and remove the glasses.  Just sit back and stare in awe at the beautifully rendered scenery, and revel in the story.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails