My Blog and Shop

Monday, July 19, 2010

AFC Bournemouth - The Russians Come Knocking

The new football season is just over 2 weeks away, and AFC Bournemouth have been training hard.

There were rumours that a Russion billionaire wanted to buy them, an approach that was rejected very quickly by chairman Eddie Mitchell.

He was approached by the agent for the Russians, but, as he told BBC Radio Solent "He asked me if I was interested in selling my shares.  I didn't have to think about it and just said No!"

He felt a sale would not be in the best interest of the club, having taken control just over a year ago.

So, the first match, against Charlton, kicks off on 7th August, and Eddie Howe and the guys have been training hard.

At least, before the season gets underway, Bournemouth are at the top of the table!!! Well, I've got my fingers crossed that they will stay there as the season progresses.

Finally, in my last post about AFC Bournemouth, I asked if anyone knew why they are called "The Cherries".

The name came about around 1910, when Mr J E Cooper-Dean granted the club a long lease on some wasteland.  There are two probable reasons.  One is the cherry red striped shirts they wore and, secondly, Dean Court was built next to the Cooper-Dean estate, which included many cherry orchards.

Wherever the name originates, let's hope they start well in a few weeks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails