My Blog and Shop

Friday, November 19, 2010

Freelance - A mercenary assault on business?

Once again, November 23rd is National Freelancers Day
There are 1.4 million freelancers in the UK and the flexibility added by this community is contributing some £21 Billion to UK GDP - the value of this resource has never been more significant.
The dictionary definition is:


free-lance or free-lancer - a self-employed person working, or available to work, for a number of businesses, rather than be committed to one, and usually hired for a limited period.

free lance or free lancer - a mercenary soldier in medieval Europe.

Now, I certainly don't believe I'm a mercenary soldier, however, I am available to work for a number of businesses, under contract to them. My contracts are usually 3-monthly; in other words, I am either extended by the company, or my contract may not be renewed.  I've been very lucky, in that my contract has been renewed regularly; but there is always an element of doubt.  Especially in the current economic climate.

Of course, since that is a risk associated with being in business for myself, the rewards are designed to help me enjoy the benefits of success.

You can find out much more about freelancing, and National Freelancers Day at their website.

Also; if you're in work for yourself, and haven't yet seen it; check out the PCG
website.
PCG is an independent not-for-profit professional association. Our mission is representing, supporting and promoting the freelance community, with specific attention to the needs of those freelancers who are members of PCG.
 As a freelancer, it's my job to get in, get the job done and get out. 

OK; not quite as mercenary as that; there's lots of relationship building, learning the business and working with the client to understand exactly what's needed.  However, in essence, as a short-term hired hand, they want the job done effectively, efficiently and within a budget.

It's a role that I enjoy, and with the required skills and knowledge, I can help a business turn their requirements into reality, and help ensure the end result is positive, for everyone.  What's more, it doesn't have to cost a kings ransom; and in many cases is much more cost effective than taking on a full time employee; without the training, benefits and holiday costs.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails