My Blog and Shop

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Countdown to Chanukah - Day 2

Last night, you saw and heard the story about Chanukah.  We celebrate it by lighting eight candles, on the Menorah. One extra candle each night, for eight nights, and singing songs.

For some reason; this is also when we give our children presents!! Now, whether this is in direct relation to the closeness of Christmas, or there is another reason, I don't know; but each family does things slightly differently.


When we were kids, my parents used to pack a bin liner full of presents, and hide it somewhere; my sister and I would then search it out.  If my memory serves me right, we did this on the last night too!!!

Some families give one present each night; after lighting the Menorah.



Since Chanukah is about the miracle of oil, and how a small drop, found in the desecrated temple, lasted eight days, we also eat food that is cooked in oil.  Not the healthiest of diets; but doughnuts and latkes (fried potato cakes) are delicious.  There are usually Chanukah parties too.

It's a fun, joyous festival; aimed very squarely at the children.  I'm, a big kid at heart.

Tomorrow, we light the first candle.

I'm so excited!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails