My Blog and Shop

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pokerface

No; this isn't a post about Lady Ga Ga!!

Poker - a family of card games that share betting rules and usually (but not always) hand rankings. Poker games differ in how the cards are dealt, how hands may be formed, whether the high or low hand wins the pot in a showdown (in some games, the pot is split between the high and low hands), limits on bets and how many rounds of betting are allowed. (Wikipedia)


I have recently taken up the game, playing online, on my iPad and in a pub league.  No, I don't play for big money; I play for fun.


Actually, it's quite cathartic.  It's a game where you, quite literally, make the decisions yourself, play on your own and, whilst there is an element of luck (depending on the hands you are dealt) there is also an element of skill.


I'm not writing in depth about the game - there's too much to explain in a short blog.


The version I play is Texas Hold'em.  You are dealt two cards face down, and then, through the course of the hand, up to five other cards are dealt to the table.  Percentages and experience help you decide if the initial cards are worth betting on.


I can understand why people get so passionate about the game.  The straight faces, the pysch-ing out of each other, with banter around the table.  The exciting feeling of winning a hand; especially when you've bluffed your way to the pot!!


It's a rush - or should that be; flush!





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails