It was quite irrational, and there was quite a reaction; but, the question is, have I regretted it?
Like many others, I have started to use Google+, a new social interaction platform. It's clean, crisp, and there is a multitude of potential. There is, however, a however...
Inviting people to join is a big task - most are entrenched in their ways; and there are times I have missed out on seeing what people are up to. Thanks to an extension in Google+, I can now view status updates within Google+ so I don't need to miss out anymore.
But; and here it is; I haven't missed the inane games (and being asked for help to achieve levels) and ridiculous adverts. My news feed (the Stream) contains mostly of stuff I want to see; and I can filter it, to see the people (Circles) I'm interested in.
This isn't meant to be a promotion for Google+; now I've been using it for over a week, it's more of an informed article about what it offers.
With Google+ anyone (and I mean anyone) can join another conversation and not feel bad for chipping in. It's open and friendly. You can join in conversations with people you don't have an association with - usually, by the end of it; you're in each others circles.
I like the fact I can post a one-line comment (similar to Twitter) or post a whole paragraph (as much as I want!)
There has been much discussion about Google+ over the last week; as more people have joined in.
So, here are my 10 reasons why you should try Google+ :
- It's open and friendly
- Easy to control your Circle of friends
- Private messaging available - to just one person, or a select few
- Control which Circle your friends are in - they can be in more than one
- Easily filter what you want to see; either everything, or just one Circle; it's up to you
- Photo uploads to web albums
- You have control over what people see
- "Meet" a wide range of people
- Hangouts - Real-time video calls with up to 10 other people
- Sparks - A way to find articles on the web that interest you, and you can freely share them amongst your Circles
Circles seems to be the biggest, single advantage of Google+ over facebook. This is how Google promote them. You can find out more at http://plus.google.com