My Blog and Shop

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bookworm

In this edition, I want to talk about books. I am a bit of a book worm, and recently have read a number of ripping yarns. So, I thought I'd share them with you.
Firstly, I should explain that I have a very varied tastes in genres, from mystery and thriller, to comedy and adventure. Some of them contain all.
So, let me introduce the first - a book by Tess Gerritsen.
Vanish.

I'll start by giving you the first paragraph from the back cover:


The beautiful woman appears to be just another corpse in the morgue. But when medical examiner Maura Isles looks down at the body, she gets the fright of
her life. The corpse opens its eyes.

Tess Gerritsen writes fast-moving thrillers. As a trained doctor, she convincingly captures the medical aspects, whilst keeping you hooked to the last page. I recommend it.

Next, something completely different.
The Time Traveler's Wife (yes, I spelt it the American way).
Written by Audrey Niffenegger, this is a love story with a difference.
It's the story of Clare and Henry, who met when Clare was six and Henry was 36,
and were married when Clare was 22 and Henry thirty.
I don't want to give away too much. It's a lovely story, which, whilst sometimes tricky to grasp in terms of time, is truly original.
It's also being made into a movie; with Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams in the leading roles. Due for release sometime in 2008 - you'll need to have read the book to really appreciate the film.

Finally - The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde. This actually came out last year, and the follow up has just been published. As I haven't read the new one yet, I thought I'd give you a flavour of what they're about. Just read this:


It's Easter in Reading - a bad time for eggs - and the shattered, tuxedo-clad corpse of local businessman Humpty Stuyvesant Van Dumpty III has been found lying beneath a wall in a shabby part of town.
This is a story of the Nursery Crime Division, and DI Jack Spratt. It's funny, surreal, in places absurd and quite frankly one of the funniest books I've read.

Which is why I've just bought The Fourth Bear.
The Gingerbreadman - psychopath, genius, convicted murderer and biscuit - is loose on the streets of Reading. Another case for DI Jack Spratt. The final paragraph on the back cover says it all:


...how could the bears' porridge be at such disparate temperatures when they were poured at the same time?
So, if want want to try something new, if you haven't read them already, then you won't be disappointed. If you have read them - post a comment and let me know what you think.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails