My Blog and Shop

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

My Family Search - Part 3

It's been a while since I wrote about my investigations into my family history, and whilst I'm sure you're not too bothered about "who I think I am"; the actual process has been interesting.

I've been working on this project for a couple of years now; and had some 'sticking points' where my maternal family was concerned.

Unless you can actually speak to someone, and ask the questions, aimlessly navigating through online pages of documents doesn't really help.

However; I had a break-through about a month ago, when a lady in Pennsylvania contacted me about someone she was looking into.  We both had the same person in our family trees; but I had stopped looking; as I didn't know any more.

I have to admit I was slightly dubious about giving a total stranger some personal answers about someone that (a) I knew nothing about and also
(b) you don't know who you're talking to.
On the other hand, she had said enough to pique my interest, and prove they could be the same.

Well; the floodgates opened, and a whole new side of the family has been discovered.  It now appears that my great-great aunt emigrated to the States (soon followed by her brother and mother).  They are buried near San Francisco.  Following on from that, I discovered another great-great aunt who went to live in South Africa (and is buried near Durban).  They all had children, so somewhere, out there, I have more family.

The history, and some of the stories I've read, are rich in detail; and brings 'alive' family I never knew; indeed family my Mum never knew.

Knowing that I have quite a large family on the West Coast of the States; and also in Pennsylvania, is quite exciting.

My search continues, and I'll be sure to update you here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails